Fermentation is a historical and scientific process that creates superfoods charged with gut-boosting probiotics, essential vitamins, and a delightful mix of tangy and umami flavors. But did you also know it makes for some excellent dressings, dips, and marinades?
At Cleveland Kitchen, we dedicate ourselves to bringing healthy, affordable fermented options to everyone. This pursuit inspired us to create our wide variety of delicious, crunchy sauerkrauts and classic, spicy vegan kimchi, but it also led to our most versatile fermented option: our Dressings & Marinades.
Cleveland Kitchen Dressings are our first steps into the world of condiments, and we think we’ve knocked it out of the park. Packed with all the flavor you want and less of the calories and preservatives you don’t, our dressings add the extra bit of flair you need to take your meal from average to spectacular.
But, how can we add so much flavor without taking away health benefits? Can our fermented veggie dressings fit into a vegan or keto diet? And do they only go with salads?
For all these answers and more, read on for our Guide to Fermented Vegetables, the superfoods behind our dressing collection:
What Are Fermented Vegetables?
As their name suggests, fermented vegetables are veggies preserved using the process of fermentation.
When foods are fermented, the familiar tangy flavor is a direct result of a chemical reaction between a food’s sugars and natural bacteria - no added acid required.
It’s also important to note that fermented food is preserved by these same kinds of bacteria.
One bacteria you see a lot in fermented foods is called Lactobacillus, a bacteria that eat natural sugars and carbs and produces lactic acid and other health benefits. The lactic acid preserves the food and adds to its flavor.
Are Our Fermented Veggies Keto-Friendly?
Yes, we can proudly say that all Cleveland Kitchen krauts, kimchi, and dressings are keto-friendly.
We genuinely believe that fermented foods can be a powerful ally in the pursuit of a healthy, balanced, and enjoyable diet, so we aim to make our products available and enjoyable for everyone.
Our dressings are also Keto Certified by the Paleo Foundation and come with a “Keto Approved” stamp to put your mind at ease.
Are Our Fermented Veggies Vegan-Friendly?
The vast majority of Cleveland Kitchen krauts, kimchi, and dressings are vegan-friendly, with the only exception being our “Backyard Ranch” dressing (which contains yogurt).
We find our fermented vegetables to be an excellent snack or addition to any vegan meal, whether you’re new to this diet or have years of experience.
Bonus Tip: If you want more information on the ingredients in our products, please check out our in-depth FAQ page, which has all the essential dietary answers you need to enjoy Cleveland Kitchen products worry-free.
Health Benefits of Fermented Veggies
As published by respected scientific resources such as the National Institute of Health (NIH), the Cleveland Clinic, and Harvard Medical School, fermented foods can positively affect your health in several ways.
Potential benefits of fermented veggies include:
- Boosted Immune System: probiotics in fermented vegetables can strengthen your immune function and help ward off inflammation and fatigue
- Improved Digestion: good sources of bacteria, such as those found in fermented vegetables, help your body break down and metabolize foods while also avoiding unwanted symptoms of indigestion (cramps, diarrhea, bloating)
- Enhanced Nutrition: in addition to healthy bacteria, fermented foods are a great source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as minerals such as iron, calcium, potassium, and selenium
- Improved Gut Health: beneficial probiotics in fermented foods strengthen your gut, helping it fight off harmful bacteria that can lead to health issues
- More Balanced Diet: in allowing you to enjoy flavorful meals as well as plentiful vitamins and nutrients, fermented foods offer you the chance to eat healthily without sacrificing your taste or nutrition
Adding Fermented Veggies to Your Diet
One of the best things about fermented veggies is their incredible adaptability.
Whether you’re partial to sauerkraut, kimchi, or dressing, there are hundreds if not thousands of healthy snacks and meals you can create with each.
While we have plenty of recipe options for sauerkraut and kimchi alike, let’s focus on our dressings, which combine well with practically everything.
Some of our favorite dressing recipes include:
- Caesar Salad (with “Hail Caesar” dressing): our twist on a classic, this caesar salad offers all the romaine, croutons, parmesan, and (optional) chicken you want with a fermentation-inspired dressing you didn’t know you needed
- Roasted Garlic Chicken Wrap (with “Roasted Garlic” dressing): easy to make and eat, this delicious wrap pairs our garlic dressing with chicken to create a yummy combo that leaves you wanting more
- Gnarly Miso Jalapeno Noodles (with “Gnarly Miso Jalapeno” dressing): noodles with a twist (and some kick), this dish honors fermentation’s Asian heritage for a low-carb, umami stir fry
Make Your Gut and Taste Buds Happy
Now that you know the incredible flavors and health benefits that fermented veggies have to offer, it’s finally time to try some Cleveland Kitchen Dressing!
We have five unique and delicious dressings available, each with its own unique taste and nutrition profile:
- Hail Caesar: the ultimate, creamy vegan salad dressing, we’ve packed the “Hail Caesar” with fermented cabbage, garlic, and herbs to create the perfect addition to any of your favorite salads
- Sweet Beet: vibrant in color and taste, this scrumptious option features fermented beets, carrots, and red cabbage to perfectly pair with a salad or a grain bowl
- Gnarly Miso Jalapeño: not for the faint of heart, this spicy dressing packs some serious (but tolerable) heat in addition to fermented cabbage, green peppers, miso, and jalapeño to add a savory kick to a salad, sandwich, or stir fry
- Roasted Garlic: using the rich nutrition and savory flavor of fermented cabbage and garlic, our creamy garlic dressing works as a tasty dip or the perfect addition to a chicken salad, turkey sandwich, or your other favorite meats or veggies
- Backyard Ranch: the perfect companion to a plate of veggies or wings, our tangy keto ranch dressing is the first of its kind to use fermented herbs and veggies for a Midwestern flavor that’s truly unmatched
Plus, if you can’t decide among all these great options, we also offer a Dressing Variety Pack, which lets you try 4-6 bottles of our yummy dressings. This way, you can easily and affordably try all our flavors and recipes!
To learn more about Cleveland Kitchen and our fermentation mission, check out our About Us page, keep up with our blog and check out our YouTube page for tips and how-tos on our delicious and healthy recipes.