American and Korean fusion, Loaded Kimchi Fries with Classic Kimchi
3 large russet potatoes
3 tbsps. olive oil
2 tsps. Korean chili powder or paprika (optional)
Salt and pepper
2 slices bacon, chopped*
- 2/3 cup Classic Kimchi
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tsps. sugar
- 1-2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cut the potatoes into fries and place on a baking sheet. Toss with the olive oil, Korean chili powder (or paprika), and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 45 minutes, flipping fries over once or twice while cooking. Meanwhile, prep your toppings.
- In a pan over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the Classic Kimchi to the bacon fat* in the pan along with the sliced onion and sugar.
- Stir until caramelized, 10 minutes.
- In a baking dish or directly on the baking sheet, sprinkle half the cheese over the fries.
- Spread the kimchi mixture over that, and then top with the last of the cheese.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted. Garnish with scallions.
*Instead of using bacon and bacon fat, you can use a tablespoon of oil and tofu or another meat substitute seasoned with the Korean chili powder for a vegetarian dish.
Check out these other great recipes
Kimchi Grilled Cheese