These easy, healthy pesto chicken zucchini boats are fun and easy to make and pack tons of delicious protein!
- 1 cup Classic Caraway Kraut
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
For the pesto:
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3 tbsps. olive oil
- 2-3 tbsps. water
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a pan with olive oil.
- Add all pesto ingredients to the bowl of a food processor: cilantro, cashews, jalapeño, garlic cloves, lime juice, olive oil, water and salt and pepper. Process until a smooth paste.
- Transfer pesto to a large bowl and stir in the shredded chicken, Classic Caraway Kraut, and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Scoop centers from zucchini while leaving a 1/4-inch rim to create boats. Place zucchini in the greased pan.
- Spoon the pesto chicken mixture evenly into zucchini boats. Top with mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and cherry tomatoes.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 35-45 minutes, until cheese has melted and zucchini is tender. Drizzle with pesto to serve.
You can use 1 cup store-bought pesto or your favorite pesto recipe. For a vegetarian version, substitute chickpeas, cooked quinoa or even tofu for the chicken.